Monday, February 23, 2009

Topps 1992



Hello. My name is Erik and I am a... a cardboard junkie.

"Hello, Erik."

I started at an early age. Me and my friends would hustle up some change from our folks, then go out and score a couple packs. Nothing serious, y'know. I mean, everyone was doing it, right? I don't know where it went from being a harmless little habit to this destructive addiction, but I can tell you when I hit rock bottom. 1992. I think it was the sight of Brien Taylor going for $8 in the card shop. Maybe it was the white card stock... I don't know.

It's all a blur now.

So what do I have to show for it? I have all but 2 of the cards in this 792 card set, which is remarkable since I have over 5,000 doubles! How in the HELL does someone buy nearly 6 thousand cards and not complete a freakin' set?!?! Huh? Can you tell me? What are the odds?

"OK! Thank you, Erik. You can sit down now. Would someone else like to share?"

UPDATE: As part of my therapy, I was made to sit down with my 1992 and see how I squandered so much of my life on such a trivial pursuit. In so doing, I discovered the 2 missing cards. The number of doubles is actually well over 6,000 and I think I have at least 3 of each card. My therapist calls this a "slip". I call it "vindication".

No comments:

Post a Comment